May 11, 2020
Celebrating the Class of 2020
We are excited to officially announce our graduation plans for the Class of 2020.
Our seniors have worked hard to overcome obstacles, and they deserve to be celebrated in style!
Due to the limitations on size of group gatherings, and the uncertainty of what might be possible later this summer, we are moving ahead with our plans for June graduations. This year’s festivities will be a hybrid of online and in-person celebrations to include social media recognition, an in-person drive-up cap and gown ceremony for seniors, and a virtual video commencement.
We’re sharing our graduates on social media!
Leading up to the week of graduation, we will be sharing individual photos of all of our graduates on each school’s social media pages. Keep a look out for your favorite members of the Class of 2020 and share some encouraging words.
Then it’s Graduation Day!
Drive-Up Cap and Gown Ceremony: Seniors “Cross the Stage”
On their regularly-scheduled graduation day, we are inviting all of our seniors to put on their caps and gowns, hop in the car and drive to their high school to individually “cross the stage” and have their photo taken on graduation day. Social distancing will be observed.
In order to comply with the Governor’s orders, keep everyone safe, and maintain the ceremonial tradition of the day:
- Graduates must wear their cap, gown and school-issued cords as applicable (reminder: no decorations allowed).
- Graduates must remain a safe 6-foot distance away from staff and other students.
- One car is allowed per graduate. Family members and friends may ride with them, but we ask that everyone stay in their car at all times. When instructed by school staff, the graduate only will exit their vehicle, cross the stage, and have their photo taken by a professional graduation photographer.
Cap and gown ceremony dates and times are as follows:
- Thursday, June 4: Mid-Columbia Partnership - 5 p.m.
- Friday, June 5: Phoenix - 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 5: Legacy - 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 6: Kamiakin, Kennewick and Southridge - 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Schools will communicate specific time frames for students by alphabet
Virtual Commencement Video
In conjunction with the cap and gown ceremony, we will mark the day with a virtual commencement video for each high school. Each high school’s video will include the traditional student and staff speakers, along with personalized student acknowledgements, and a traditional tassel turn and cap toss for the Class of 2020. Students and families can watch the video and celebrate their senior. Commencement videos will be emailed to families on the students’ graduation day and posted at www.ksd.org.
Video Posting Schedule:
Thursday, June 4 at 3 p.m. – Mid-Columbia Partnership
Friday, June 5 at 3 p.m. – Legacy High School and Phoenix High School
Saturday, June 6 at 9 a.m. – Kamiakin, Kennewick and Southridge High Schools
Important Note: We will celebrate all of our seniors on their graduation day. Seniors can continue to complete graduation requirements and earn their diploma up until the last day of school on June 18.
Wish the Class of 2020 congratulations!
We invite all the businesses, restaurants, churches, and other organizations in our community to join the celebration by displaying reader/message with a shout out to the Class of 2020 the week of June 6.